Frequently asked questions

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do I have to lodge my tax return?

If you are registered with United Tax & Accounting your name will be on our ATO lodgment list. This means that in most cases, providing you lodge with us, you have until March 31st or later to lodge.

2. Can I get a fast refund?

Refunds are usually issued by the ATO within 10 working days. Remember to bring your bank account details at the tax return preparation stage.

3. Can I claim for using my car?

Yes – provided you can demonstrate that your car is being used for work or business purposes. There are two methods currently available. Firstly, the Actual Expense Method. This requires that you maintain a motor vehicle travel log book, and this can be purchased form most news agencies. These books have good instructions on how to use them. Secondly, there is the cents per kilometre method, where this requires that you record the actual kilometres travelled for business or your employer. The maximum claim under his method is for 5000 kilometres.

4. Am I eligible for the sole parent rebate?

No. The sole parent rebate was abolished from July 2000. It was replaced by the Family Tax Benefit.

5. What happens if I lose my PAYG payment summary (Group Certificate?)

Since the beginning of the Single Touch Payroll (STP) that almost all employers must now be using where they pay wages to staff, PAYG payment summaries are no longer issued. This is because under the STP, tis information is available on your MyGov page, provided that you have linked your tax file to it.


Otherwise, tax agents have access to this information for you, going back to about 2009.

6. Can I claim for superannuation payments that I have made myself?

Even if your employer is making superannuation guarantee contributions on your behalf, you may be able to claim superannuation payments. The proviso is that the total contributions to ALL superannuation funds do not exceed $25000.

However, subject to assessable income levels and age, payments you make directly to a superannuation fund are matched by the government up to a maximum of $500. However, you must first contribute $1000 to qualify for the $500 government maximum. Refer to the ATO website for greater details.

Self-employed persons having private superannuation and not being part
of an employer/award productivity superannuation scheme can claim a
deduction. There are limits to the amount that can be claimed.

7. Can I arrange to have my refund paid directly into my bank account?

As of 1 July 2013 it is a Tax Office requirement that all refunds are paid directly into a nominated Australian bank account. Please bring your bank details with you to your consultation.

8. What are Eligible Termination Payments (ETP’s)?

These are payments received from employers or superannuation funds that are eligible for certain tax concessions. Your employer should give you a statement of any ETP’s paid when you leave or retire, as should your superannuation fund when you withdraw money from the fund. New rules will apply from July 2007.

If you have any other questions that you would like answered , please do not hesitate to contact us for the further information. We would be only too happy to be of assistance.